Preparing Sweet Coconut And Jaggery Stuffing
- In a heavy kadai take 1.5 cups grated fresh coconut and 1 cup jaggery powder or grated jaggery.
- Keep kadai on a medium-low heat. Mix the coconut with the jaggery.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon ghee or oil.
- Stir often and cook this coconut and jaggery mixture on a low to medium-low heat. the jaggery will begin to melt first.
- Continue to cook stirring often.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder and mix well.
- Cook this mixture till the moisture from the jaggery begins to dry. Then switch off the heat. Do not overcook as then the jaggery will harden.
- Keep this coconut-jaggery filling aside to cool. On cooling the mixture will thicken more.
- To get rid of any excess moisture in the filling, you can add a bit of rice flour. Adding rice flour helps to absorb moisture, if any from the filling.
Preparing Rice Dough
- In another kadai or pan take 1.5 cups of water. Add ¼ teaspoon ghee or oil. Place the pan on a stove top on a medium to high heat.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Let the water come to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low and then add 1 cup rice flour gradually.
- Quickly begin to stir and mix all of the rice flour with water.
- Stir till all the rice flour is mixed with the water. Mix very well and switch off the heat.
- Keep the pan down on the kitchen tabletop. Cover the pan with a lid and keep for 4 to 5 minutes.
- After 4 to 5 minutes remove the lid. Check the hotness of the rice dough by touching it with clean fingers.
- If the dough is warm or slightly hot, then begin to knead it. Though take care not to burn your fingers. You can also place the dough in a tray or a plate and then knead.
- Knead to a smooth and soft dough. Then cover the dough with a damp muslin or cotton cloth. Now allow the dough to rest for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Then make small balls from the dough. The rice dough balls should be smooth.
- Some may get cracks, so just rub a bit of water on your palm and shape them into balls again which will get rid of the cracks.
- Assembling And Stuffing The Sweet Kozhukatta
Making Round Kozhukatta
- Take the dough ball and gently flatten it with your fingers. Keep the edges thin and the center slightly thick.
- Place the flattened dough on a plate or on a tray.
- Place the coconut & jaggery stuffing in the center.
- Making small pleats, bring the sides in the center and then press and join them – the way its done for stuffed parathas.
- Then gently roll the Kozhukatta to get a neat round shape. This way you can make round shaped Kozhukattas.